Saturday, November 29, 2008

"Pan's Labyrinth" Review


Mary's Review

To describe this film in simple terms is a challenging task. If you are wondering what to expect with this film, it is a combination of Harry Potter and Schindler's List- if you can wrap your head around that concept.

I really love fantasy films. I love seeing the result of creativity without boundaries. In the genre of fantasy films, talented artists and visionaries can collaborate to dream up a world that can otherwise only exist in dreams (or nightmares). Over the past couple of years, I have realized how drawn I am to the monsters and scenery of fantasy-based movies; however, these films are usually meant for children. Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy film for adults.

Pan's Labyrinth is based on a young girl (Ophelia) who has just moved with her mother to her new stepfather's home. Her stepfather is a fascist general of the war in 1940's Spain. In my mind, I sort of split the movie into thirds. One part of the film is about war, showing violence, gruesome, cruel torture, and the sadistic brutality of those in power. Another part of the film is based on Ophelia's relationship with her loving mother and with the kind house staff. My favorite part of the movie is Ophelia's adventures exploring the house and her stepfather's property. This is where she encounters magical, sometimes frightening creatures who send her on a dangerous mission into a mystical underworld.

Before I saw the film, I listened to
an NPR interview with the writer, creator, and director, Guillermo del Torro. He explained that his wildly dark and lively imagination roots from his childhood. Growing up in Mexico in the 1970's, he witnessed civil war and violence. As an adolescant, he had to walk through a morgue on his way to his first job. He believes that this early exposure to violence and death caused his imagination to be drawn toward the dark and twisted.

It seems that Guillermo del Torro understands that without ugliness and raw disgust, we cannot truly appreciate beauty and magic. You will detest the dark, bloody, tragic real world so much that you, like Ophelia, begin to long for the fantasy world to once agian emerge in the film. This is not a child's film. In the
NPR interview, Guillermo del Torro explains that fairy tales were originally meant for adults. Over time, fairy tales were adapted for children- mainly by the Grimm brothers. While some find it strange that he would create a fairy tale for adults, he does not find it strange whatsoever.

Personally, I need some fantasy in my life. Maybe it is because I have a vivid imagination myself, but I feel right at home with Ophelia in her world of fairies and magical monsters. This film explores very dark sides of humans, yet it also shows you innocence and hope. The contrast and balance is what makes del Torro truly brilliant (but the crazy creatures make him a creative genius).

This film is critically acclaimed around the world and has won so many awards; yet somehow, there are still so many people who have never heard of it. I do hope you open your mind and go with Ophelia on her journey into a war-driven land where resides a mythical underworld. Whether you see it for the artistry, for the escape, for the war theme, or for the child-like wonder you feel when you watch fantasy films- Pan's Labyrinth is a must see!


General Information


  • Winner of 3 Academy Awards.
  • Listen to NPR Interview with writer and Director.
  • Creator, Writer, & Director Guillermo del Toro.
  • For interview with the director, behind the scenes footage, Comicon teaser trailer, etc., go to the official interactive movie site: http://www.panslabyrinth.com/
  • Take a look inside the movie: from G4 TV.
  • RottenTomatoes.com does not usually give movies more than 30% ratings; however, Pan's Labyrinth received a rating of 96%!
  • Watch videos of: trailers, clips, creating the monsters, behind the scenes, interviews, and more at Rotten Tomatoes.
  • Watch the movie trailer below:


Peer Reviews

-"So breathtaking in its artistic ambition, so technically accomplished, so morally expansive, so fully realized that it defies the usual critical blather. See it, and celebrate that rare occasion when a director has the audacity to commit cinema." -by Anna Hornaday (from the Washington Post)

"Del Toro parallels the horror of two civilizations (one real, one imagined, each with their own monsters), crafting a rich and violent film for grownups who haven't lost touch with their childhood resources" -by Mark Palermo (from Rotten Tomatoes)

" I gave it a try and I'm glad I did! I thought it was a very creative display of hard times and how a child deals with real life. And wow, what an ending!" -Alicia, age 26

"...a dark and wonderful fairy tale for grown-ups..." -by Brandon Fibbs (from Rotten Tomatoes)

"I LOVED Pan's Labyrinth! My boss actually told me about this film, but she failed to tell me that the movie was in Spanish with subtitles. I do not think that Pan's Labyrinth would have been a movie that I would have chosen for myself, but I so glad that I saw it. I would definitely agree that this film is a must see." -by NaTasha (user comment)

~Please come back and share your own review- I may post it right here!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED Pan's Labyrinth! My boss actually told me about this film, but she failed to tell me that the movie was in Spanish with subtitles. I do not think that Pan's Labyrinth would have been a movie that I would have chosen for myself, but I so glad that I saw it. I would definitely agree that this film is a must see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NaTasha,
    I am not always in the mood for subtitles, especially when I want to relax, so I understand what you mean. Pan's Labyrinth is full of eye candy, and you sort of forget you have been reading all along! I'm glad you got to see it. Thanks so much for your post!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete