Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Stranger Than Fiction" Review

Mary's Review


Stranger Than Fiction is much more mainstream than the movies I usually recommend, but I cannot help myself; I loved it!


The all-star cast includes Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Queen Latifa (believe it or not). Trust me, this is not the traditional Will Ferrell movie. I truly wish he would continue to experiment with more serious films since he did so well as the lead in Stranger Than Fiction.


When a straight-laced, uptight loner and IRS agent named Harold Crick begins to hear a British female’s voice narrating his every move and thought, Harold’s monotonous life is shaken up. When Harold hears the voice announce his “imminent death,” he sets out to find the narrator so that he can try to stop her from ending his life. Harold enlists the help of a literature professor (Dustin Hoffman) who encourages Harold to change his life from a tragedy into a comedy. In the midst of Harold’s harrowing crisis, he meets a free-spirited, tattooed, rule-breaking bakery owner played by the charming and endearing Maggie Gyllenhal who was so adorable in this movie that she made me into an instant fan of hers. Meanwhile, the narrator (Emma Thompson) is really a famous writer who is searching for the perfect ending for her masterpiece. Little does she know that her character, Harold Crick, really exists and has been haunted by her plans for the story’s ending.


This movie’s offbeat plot and unlikely actors makes for a whimsical, spirited tale about living life to the fullest and embracing your unique purpose.


I am not typically moved by mainstream films since they tend to be so redundant; but Stranger Than Fiction has the subtle wittiness and intelligent complexities of an independent film (my favorite genre). I gave a bit more away than usual, but the involved plot could not be explained briefly. So, the next time you are in the mood for a funny, charming, tender, and thoughtful movie, please pick up and plug in this film about life, death, and taxes.


Please come back soon to share your own review!


General Facts

  • Released in 2006.
  • Go to the official site to see the director's commentary, interviews with the actors, and other fun, interactive features- seriously, go! Even if you have seen the film all ready. You’ll have fun! Go!
  • SPOILER ALERT: The trailer doesn't suit the movie and gives away too much.
  • Written by Zach Helm.
  • Directed by Marc Forster (also director of Monster’s Ball).
  • Awards: Altogether, 11 nominations, 1 win. Nominated for a Golden Globe!
    Peer Reviews

    "This movie ALWAYS inspires me to write! I love it! " -by Navetube (from YouTube)

    Blogger"I too enjoyed this movie. I thought I would hate it, but because I'm fond of Maggie Gyllenhall (loved her in Donnie Darko!) I decided to see it anyway. I was pleasantly surprised. You're right that this movie's plot is too complex to explain quickly. Even so, it is not difficult to follow along as you watch. The characters have a lot more depth than I would have expected from a movie featuring Will Ferrel." -by Kendra C. (reader comment)

    Blogger "I wasn't happy when my husband brought this video home. I like Will Ferrell, but the previews made me think this would be a terrible movie. I was surprised to find it charming." -by LM (reader comment)


    Blogger "In addition to liking this movie, I must say I also really like your blog overall. You have many different elements going on to catch a broad audience's fancy. Great Job." -by Chriss (reader comment)

    “All in all, I think Stranger than Fiction is one of the best comedies I have seen and would recommend it to anyone interested in English Literature, romance and tragedy. Though this movie kept making me cringe at the situations that Harold Crick was in, it enticed me so that I couldn’t get my eyes off the screen. Stranger than Fiction: a must see.” –by Levi M. (from RottonTomatoes)

    "
    Stranger Than Fiction is for Will Ferrell, what Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is for Jim Carrey." -by Hipolito (from YouTube)


    6 comments:

    1. I too enjoyed this movie. I thought I would hate it, but because I'm fond of Maggie Gyllenhall (loved her in Donnie Darko!) I decided to see it anyway. I was pleasantly surprised. You're right that this movie's plot is too complex to explain quickly. Even so, it is not difficult to follow along as you watch. The characters have a lot more depth than I would have expected from a movie featuring Will Ferrel.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I wasn't happy when my husband brought this video home. I like Will Ferrell, but the previews made me think this would be a terrible movie. I was surprised to find it charming.

      ReplyDelete
    3. In addition to liking this movie, I must say I also really like your blog overall. You have many different elements going on to catch a broad audience's fancy. Great Job.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Kendra C.,
      Thank you for your comment! I think that the movie probably gained unlikely viewers because of Will Ferrel and probably lost some for the same reason. He is a funny guy for sure, but through this movie, I could tell he is more than a one-trick pony. Yes, Maggie is fabulous is this. She is hit or miss with me, but I loved her in this role for sure!
      -Thanks for visiting and posting your feedback! Look for your comment on the main page.
      -Mary

      ReplyDelete
    5. Im,
      Thank you for your comment. Look for it on the main page. I would imagine there were many other not-so-fond-of-Will-Ferrel folks who were pleasantly surprised by this movie. Likewise, I would imagine there have been some Will Ferrel fans who were disappointed that this wasn't another "Old School" or "Anchor Man." I hope Will branches out more in the future.
      Thank you for your comment! Please come back to visit! I enjoy your posts and have posted at least one other comment of yours on the main page (Donnie Darko I think).
      -Mary

      ReplyDelete
    6. Chriss,
      Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm glad you like the blog and I really appreciate you visiting and sharing your comments. Look for your comment on the main page!
      Please come back and share your thoughts about future reviews.
      -Mary

      ReplyDelete