Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Hellboy II" Review


Mary's Review

I must admit that I am not a comic book reader, nor do I typically get psyched up by new super hero film releases. When I saw the original Hellboy, I was fairly impressed, since I tend to enjoy fantasy films. Mainly, I liked the monsters and wild characters in Hellboy I, but I wasn't crazy about the movie as a whole.

When the first Hellboy was released, I had no idea who Guillermo del Toro was. After falling in love with Pan's Labyrinth (
read my review), I was eager to see all of Del Toro's upcoming films. I was looking forward to seeing Hellboy II, but I wasn't sure if it would blow me away like Pan's Labyrinth, or if it would underwhelm me like the first Hellboy. Folks, Hellboy II is awesome!

I don't typically gush over mainstream films, since they are usually pretty bland, but this summer blockbuster made the cut. Del Toro pulls all of the stops for Hellboy II. He managed to create a charming, witty, sophistocated, humorous, exciting, action-packed, visually in-sane super hero film! I loved it, my husband loved it, and we are looking forward to watching it with my three teen brothers.

Del Toro has successfully created another world of dazzling monsters and amazing creatures. The scenery is stunning, the storyline is moving, the action is explosive and gritty, and the creatures are magnificent.

Scroll down to watch the trailer. It shows a bit too much, but if you still need convincing, I hope that seeing some of the crazy characters in the trailer will change your mind.

Come back and let me know what you thought about the film!



General Information

Peer Reviews

"A spectacularly vibrant, varied, detailed, freakish, magical, surreal and exciting universe for this sequel to Hellboy." -by Andrew Urban (from Rotten Tomatoes)

"The film shows a certain wit and a refined eclecticism: a director who in a few seconds combines Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto, a quotation from Tennyson’s In Memoriam and two monsters singing Beautiful Freak deserves watching" -by Martin Hoyle (from Rotten Tomatoes)

"Not only are the creatures amazingly conceived, but there’s a lovely sense of humour to it all as Del Toro references horror movies of the past and even the work of John Landis." -by David Stratton (from Rotten Tomatoes)


Watch Hellboy II Trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment